A couple of years back, when I was first starting my blog - I had no idea if I would ever need a backup. But, soon I was caught in a bad situation. My shared hosting account was compromised and the hackers wiped off my complete website. I was able to restore a copy of backup from my webhost. But, it wasn’t the most recent one. Any ways, it was a lesson for life. Since then I have been creating a complete backup of my WordPress website. A complete backup includes WordPress database and file backup.
There are many backup plugins that can create a complete backup of your WordPress website. Here, is a list of the best free and premium backup plugins for WordPress:
1. BackWPup free
BackWPup is one of the most popular WordPress plugin that creates backup of your entire website. This plugin is easy to install and use. It creates a backup of your database and repairs it, if required. You can also send backup to different cloud storage services like Amazon S3, Dropbox, Microsoft Azure and many more. You can also store backup to FTP servers.
It allows you to create backup in different formats like zip, tar, tar.gz, tar.bz2. You can manage multiple site but only if you are the network admin. BackWPup is the number one backup plugin for WordPress with millions of downloads.
Features of BackWPup
- Send your backup and logs by e-mail.
- Backup to Amazon S3, Dropbox, Microsoft Azure.
- Complete file and database backup.
- Available in different languages like English, French, German and more.
- Restoration is easy with single .zip file.
WordPress version: 3.4 or higher
Download BackWPup Free
BackUpWordPress is very simple plugin to manage your backups. It creates backup of your entire website including database and other files. It backs up your site according to you. This plugin also has option to mail you backups. This plugin is generally developed for beginners. It backs up your website according to your defined schedule. Once you installed this plugin and set the schedule, it will automatically backup your website.
- Very simple to use and install.
- Exclude files and folders
- Multiple schedules
- Mail you each backup file.
- Allow translation in different languages like Spanish, German, Chinese and more.
- Work good in low memory.
WordPress Version: 3.7.3 or higher
3. WordPress Backup to Dropbox
WordPress Backup to Dropbox is very popular plugin for your WordPress website that allows you to create a backup of your website regularly and store them in your Dropbox. It automatically uploads backup of your entire website to Dropbox. You can use this plugin for large websites as Dropbox allows free 2GB of storage. If this limit is exceeded then you have to pay for additional Dropbox storage. If you are looking for free plugin and you have large website i.e. more than 2GB+ then this plugin is not perfect for you.
- Backup data is completely safe as it uses OAuth plugin that keeps your Dropbox account details safe.
- Supported by all browsers like Chrome, Firefox, Safari etc.
- User-Friendly interface.
- Backup your site according to you. You can choose date, time and what files do you want to backup.
WordPress version: 3.0 or higher
Download WordPress Backup To Dropbox
WP-DBManager plugin allows you to create a backup your database system. It lets you to modify your database, repair it and backup it completely. You can create backup of your database anytime according to your schedule. This plugin is one of the best database backup plugin.
Features of WP-DBManager
- Automatically repair and modify your database.
- Speed up your website.
- Schedule and restore database backup at any time.
- Provides easy access of database queries. You can drop table and run selected queries.
WordPress Version: 3.9 or higher
XCloner is the best backup and restore plugin that allows to create a backup and restore your entire website. To restore backups in different ways, this plugin uses Open Source Standards like TAR and MySQL. It backs up and restore any PHP/MySQL application. You can restore and backup your website on any server that supports the WordPress Platform.
Features of XCloner
- Create Custom backups and share them with your clients.
- Restore backup onto different locations.
- Create automatic backups based on cronjobs.
WordPress Version: 2.0.2 or higher
VaultPress is a real-time backup and security plugins that allows you to keep up-to-date backup of your website. It keeps backup of every post, comment, media file on your server. This plugin also provides the security scan feature which scans your entire website to keep it safe. It connects your website to the VaultPress servers.
Features of VaultPress
- Scan your website daily and protect it from malicious things.
- Provide you real-time backup.
- Download your backup.
- Automatically fixes dangerous threats on your site and send notification to you.
- Restore your website in just one click.
WordPress Version: 2.9.2 or higher
Price: VaultPress offers three package:
- Lite: $5/month and $55/year.
- Basic: $15/month and $165/year.
- Premium: $40/month and $440/year.
UpdraftPlus is the most popular premium plugin that allows you to create a backup, restore and migrate your website in a very easy manner. It stores your backup in different cloud services like Dropbox, Google Drive, Amazon S3 and many more. It keeps backup of file and database on separate schedule.
Features of UpdraftPlus
- Backup large site up to 12GB.
- Multi-site support.
- Backup many non WordPress files and database. You can also use it to keep backup of other PHP/MySQL application.
- Automatically backup the changes and supports both manual and automated schedule.
- Send encrypted data to cloud storage services to provide security to your backup.
- Store backup of different website into a separate backup file.
WordPress Version: 3.2 or higher
Price: UpdraftPlus offers three packages:
- Personal: $60
- Business: $85
- Developer: $125
blogVault is an excellent WordPress backup plugin that allows to create a backup of your WordPress websites by creating daily automatic backups. You can test your backups and also migrate them to another server. It allows complete backup of your WordPress website including files and database.
Features of blogVault
- Incremental and automated backups.
- Easily migrate any website to a new domain from backup.
- Automatically restore backup to the server.
- Test your backup by uploading them on test servers.
- Provide security to backup by storing it in an encrypted form on Amazon S3 servers and data centres.
WordPress Version: 1.5 or higher
Price: blogVault offers three packages:
- Basic: $9/month and $89/year.
- Plus: $19/month and $199/year.
- Pro: $39/month and $399/year.
BackUpBuddy offers you the best ways to create backup and migrate a WordPress website after installation. Backing up your website with BackUpBuddy is very easy. BackUpBuddy offers a lot of options to store their backup like Dropbox, Amazon S3, Rackspace Cloud Files etc. or by sending them through e-mail.
Features of BackUpBuddy
- Store your backups to offsite storage like Dropbox, Amazon S3 etc.
- Schedules backup.
- Create custom backup profile.
Price: BackUpBuddy offers 4 packages:
- Blogger: $80.
- Freelancer: $100
- Developer: $150
- Gold: $297
My vote for free plugin goes to BackWPup. Among premium plugins I like blogVault for it’s incremental backups, backup archive, test restore features and affordable price. I hope you will be able to pick up a backup plugin that fits your requirement.